PCS season is still in full swing! If you’re getting ready to move to your next duty station, you’ve likely got a lot on your plate. Between packing and cleaning, it’s easy to forget something. If you’ve been renting or your home needs to pass inspection before you ship out, the cleaning process is going to be especially important for you. A clean home can mean passing inspection the first time or getting your deposit back if you were renting. Luckily, we’ve compiled this list, so you don’t forget a thing!
- Dust, dust, dust! You may have been good about dusting certain furniture in your current home, but there are likely places that haven’t been touched since you moved in. Ceiling fixtures- including lights and fans- and all ledges will need a good dusting.
- Check the walls. Are there nails or screws left behind from hanging pictures? Make sure to take these out and then properly fill in any holes left behind. It can be a good idea to give the walls and baseboards a wipe-down as well.
- The most forgotten places. There are certain areas of your home that you touch everyday but never take the time to clean. This can include doorknobs, doors, light switches, and outlet covers.
- Faucets and fixtures. Whether in your kitchen or bathroom, take the time to clean and shine up your sink, faucet, and any other metal fixtures.
- Vacuum unexpected places. Exhaust fans in your bathroom and kitchen can attract a lot of dust.
- Sweep behind appliances. Crumbs can get everywhere in a kitchen, even behind appliances.
- Scrub your appliances. Refrigerators and ovens have food in them all the time, and where there’s food there’s often crumbs, or drips left behind. Make sure to scrub your appliances inside and out.
- Countertops and cabinets. These well-used surfaces in your kitchen will need to be cleaned out and wiped down.
- Don’t forget the garage. The garage should be completely empty and if possible, power wash any lingering stains on the concrete. This applies to your driveway and sidewalks too if needed.
- Spruce up the outside. This means mowing the lawn and getting rid of any unsightly weeds.
- The number one thing you don’t want to forget: your carpets. After all the furniture is gone and all the boxes have been moved out, the most noticeable feature of your home will be your carpets. You may have had stubborn stains covered under a rug or piece of furniture, but now they’re out in the open for all to see. Without anything else in the room, you may also notice discoloration in the high-traffic areas of your home. The last thing you want to do before your inspection or moving out of your rental is to get your carpets professionally cleaned. They will be able to get out those stubborn stains and all the dirt and dust that’s built up over the past few years that your vacuum left behind. Additionally, you’ll also want to check your lease. Some rental companies now have requirements for your carpets to be professionally cleaned before you move out.
If you’re looking to have your carpets professionally cleaned, Thomas’ Carpet Cleaning and Restoration Services can help. Give us a call at 931-552-7847 or contact us online!